Monday, June 27, 2005

Twitching and unpacking

So, what's new... I have just recently moved into my new house, and I have made several weak, ineffectual stabs at unpacking and creating a lived-in look in the place; I have completely avoided any useful preparation for my internship, having wasted my free hours leading up to this Friday's start date by watching digital cable rather than reading about the neuro ICU (where I will begin); I have continued my trifling attempts to round myself into shape, running three miles each day (weight is now down to 195-ish -- that is, prior to a monumental ice cream binge this evening); I have submitted a short story to Glimmer Train, which will likely be rejected post-haste; and most pertinent to this space, I have once again uttlerly neglected my blog for days and days. Through it all my mood has remained about as warm as the waters of Lake Ontario. With that in mind, I would like to thank my girlfriend for her forbearance in dealing with my lack of patience and my multiple temper tantrums throughout recent days.

Is anyone out there still reading my blog? I certainly can't blame you if you've given up any hope of revitalization -- but rest assured that I have aspirations, if not realistic plans, to keep this thing up and running.

P.S. -- I almost forgot about the "twitching" part of my title. It seems that my right upper eyelid has developed a sense of humor: it chuckles to itself throughout the day, its broad hair-spiked belly contracting in glee at unheard jokes and inaudible witticisms. The medical term for this eyelid twitching that haunts my days and torments my attention is myokymia, with myo- meaning "muscle," and kymia- meaning "interminably harrassing poor Ian in retribution for some wrong committed in a prior life." I understand that the conventional wisdom is for a person with myokymia lasting longer than a week should seek medical attention, meaning that a male such as myself, with dreams of one day possessing a modicum of machismo, must wait for at least six weeks before even contemplating visiting a fellow physician. Two down, four to go.

8 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger L said...

I HATE moving! I just did it too, and I am still recovering!

Hope yours wasn't too traumatizing :)

(I still have to finish cleaning the old place).

posting any photos of the new digs?

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger phoenix said...

re-re-welcome back :) lol

I just got over (I think) a weeks worth of the ole left eye twitching. When I am stressed or inadvertantly ingest something bee related I get a twitch... this time it was stress (the spousal kind). I figured out the bee thing on my own... it was bee pollen used in some vitamins I was taking. It had my eye, shoulder and a muscle in my foot going to town.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Mountainputty -- I'll be blogging!

L -- I'm not overly traumatized by the move...but perhaps that's because I haven't finished unpacking yet. I'll see about getting some photos up before too long -- I have to make it presentable first, though.

Phoenix -- I think my twitch is due to stress as well. I'm glad to hear that yours is finished! I hope it stays away. Dang it, mine just started twitching again. Crap.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Stuart Ressler, M.D. said...

A nice case report of stress-induced eyelid twitching...
Cheers,
Stuart

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger JR said...

Just started reading your column. I thought the name was rather funny because I always say my job isn't brain surgery.

I'll give you one guess what I do.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

It sounds like the title of a country song.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger An Epistemology said...

I HATE MOVING!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Catastrophe Waitress said...

http://threadless.com/submission/46364/It's_Not_Rocket_Surgery...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home