Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Full circle

I just spent the past hour teaching a clinical case session to a group of 1st year medical students. I must say, I felt rather strange sitting there with all eyes upon me -- the supposedly knowledgeable one -- while trying to engage my tired brain. I also learned a couple of important things. Importantly, one should never have contempt for a teacher in front of a group who demonstrates a brief stint of pure idiocy. When not under scrutiny, the brain often undergoes subtle lapses of concentration that can be circumvented entirely by a deep breath and a deliberate closure of the eyes; however, when an entire audience clings with tenuous attention to your words, somehow the gravity of the situation can stretch out those concentration lapses like taffy on a warm summer day -- and soon the sticky mess adheres to every thought until fluid communication becomes impossible. Teaching is hard.

Also of note, withold your snickers and derisive glances when a teacher displays with every raise of the arm a massive, ignominious armpit stain. For some reason, the armpits serve as the barometer of public speaking; when I am in public, my armpits don't sweat, and when I am speaking, my armpits don't sweat, but whenever I speak publicly, the sweat glands dump their salty product all over my clothes. I didn't realize this fact until I got to med school, but now I feel ashamed for every having made fun of my high school english teacher's huge pit stains.

Well, time now for a journey to the health club for an hour on the stationary bike. You wanna see sweat? I'll show you sweat.

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Moral Turpitude said...

You should wear plastic shirts when you speak in public so the sweat doesn't show through.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger L said...

public speaking is VERY hard to do-- I respect the fact that you can manage to do it....

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

One word:

Mitchum

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I think men call them sport coats. Whenever I am giving a new training class, the first couple of times I wear a nice casual tailored jacket (hides any signs that are unlady like). I seem to lose the nervousness after the 3rd session though. BTW I HATE doing the public speaking thing.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said...

Unique blog my friend, I can hardly wait to vist
this site again. I just worship the site its comes
from! Believe me in my extra time I'm consistently
looking up blogs like this.
In an efford of finding the right info, check for my plastic surgery colorado blog site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home