Sunday, April 30, 2006

Could our brows get any lower?

Time Magazine released its "100 People Who Shape Our World" issue this week. Of particular interest to me was the "Artists and Entertainers" section.

Among the honorees is George Clooney, for his good looks and the fact that he doesn't spread them around indiscriminately like some other Hollywood bachelors.

We also see Reese Witherspoon. Why? Because "in [her] eyes there is the gleam of a competitor." Hmm...that really could shape the whole world, couldn't it?

They also threw in a guy named Renzo Piano, an architect about whom the author says, "I don't think there's anybody like him." Uniqueness in stark contrast to, say, that sentence?

Time presents Will Smith, as he "is something more than clothes and quips."

Also making the list is Tyra Banks, for of course "she is dynamic, positive, and real, and we are only at the beginning of her special brand of global domination." Here's to global domination by a supermodel! Yeah, baby, shape my world!

Alas, only one writer makes the "Artists and Entertainers" section. It's Zadie Smith. I haven't read anything by Zadie Smith, so she could very well be the most influential author in the world. Beats me.

It just surprises me that a periodical -- a typed, printed, written periodical -- can conjure only one writer worthy of mention as a shaper of our world. I think that says something -- either the people who created this Time Magazine edition don't read, or, scarily, the world itself, by and large, no longer reads.

I don't know what their excuse is. I work 15 hours a day and I still read. Come on, people, get off your intellectual asses.

3 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger phoenix said...

I promise that I, as a human (not a zombie) read!!! lol

Hugssssss

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger N A said...

Also scary, I can't think of all that many writers who really could be considered world-shapers at this point. I mean, if influence and readership are the criteria...Dan Brown? Harry Potter lady? I mean, I think Denis Johnson should be on there for Jesus' Son. And...uh...who else? I can't think of anyone else right now. Who's good? James Salter. But they'd say he's too old...

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Stuart Ressler, M.D. said...

Hey, good to see you're blogging again! How's recidency treatin' ya? Regards, Stuart, the Staff Guy with a pile of unfinished books on the night stand

 

Post a Comment

<< Home