Thursday, February 17, 2005

Google ascent and a new idea

I realized recently that many people reaching my blog did so by searching for the term "orgasmic cephalgia" on Google. In fact, my blog attained the fourth rank on Google for this search term -- something I never thought possible. Then, I got to thinking... First, the post containing that search term was rather tongue-in-cheek, and lacking some of the professional detachment befitting somebody who will, in fact, be a real life doctor in a handful of months. Second, the fact that my blog shot up the ranks of Google's ponderous list of websites means that not much info is extant on the Web about orgasmic cephalgia. As a result of these revelations, I have considered starting up a separate blog containing general information about medical topics of interest to myself and anyone who might happen to surf (or search) along and find me. Once I finish my board exam next Tuesday, I'll try to create that blog and post a link to it here, for the two or three of you out there who may be interested.

Meanwhile, here is a small blurb about orgasmic cephalgia, restricted to useful info this time (the previous post has been expurgated from my blog).

Orgasmic cephalgia -- According to The Handbook of Neurosurgery, this disease consists of "a severe, throbbing, sometimes "explosive" H/A with onset just before or at the time of orgasm." Besides the obvious emotional and physical ramifications of having a pronounced headache at the time of orgasm, this disease merits consideration because it is actually relatively benign, yet closely mimics a different, life-threatening illness. Subarachnoid hemorrhage -- acute bleeding into the brain that generally occurs because of the rupture of a weakened arterial wall -- presents similarly, with a sudden-onset headache that frequently can occur during a period of intense exertion (such as during intercourse, at the time of orgasm). Subarachnoid hemorrhage is a medical emergency, and requires prompt consultation by a neurosurgeon. On the other hand, orgasmic cephalgia is transitory, not life-threatening, and essentially avoidable -- though not without significant lifestyle changes.

I'll see what I can dig up on treatment of orgasmic cephalgia, and perhaps post it on my new blog when I have time. Meanwhile, I'm back to the books...

9 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger L said...

wow... I learn something new every day. I'm glad that I don't have that.

I have a friend who checked out one of those "self-diagnosing" web sites-- came away half convinced that she was suffering from leprosy, multiple sclerosis and brain tumors....

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Imagine immersing yourself in diseases all day, practically every day for four years! Hence 'medical student syndrome,' the immediate acquisition of whatever disease the student happens to be studying at a given time.

It strikes me the leprosy part, though, would be a bit of a stretch. People with leprosy tend to have a rather distinctive look about them.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger laconis said...

Do I know you?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Ian said...

laconis: I don't know...do you? Where would you know me from?

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger laconis said...

email me at spyder18327@cs.com. I have something to tell you

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I found your blog while researching orgasmic cephalgia. I just saw a patient in the office with it.... what a riot. If you never found the treatment, here's the deal. Abstinence for 1-2 weeks, NSAID's 1 hour before intercourse, or even beta-blockers. Of course, beta blockers may cause erectile dysfunction.... which would prevent the problem to begin with, right?

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian...
How did you get your blog to be so good? Originally I was out trying to locate new surf board related information, but your post ' Google ascent and a new idea ' got my attention and stopped me in my tracks :) Glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about new surf board and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks Ian for the good read and I think I'll mention your blog to my cousin (if that's okay...)

Keep up your effort ~ and good job.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy, you might think orgasmic cephalgia is a riot for someone to have, but it doesn't look like a lot of fun to experience. I'm dating a guy who suffers from this condition occasionally. Immediate severe migraine with residual mild headache that lasts for several days. I was doing some research and stumbled upon this site. Thanks Ian. Keep up the good work!

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erectile Dysfunction is sometimes dismissed as a mere "lifestyle condition." As a result, there is often a real stigma associated with openly discussing ED. However, erectile dysfunction can lead to a range of serious psychological problems that have the potential to wreak havoc with a person's well-being or relationships. http://www.besthealthmed.com/lifestyle_changes.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home