Monday, March 07, 2005

I'm like a speculum...


speculum
Originally uploaded by Ian D..

...that's how many medical examinations I have endured. Though, hopefully, most women don't bristle at the sight of me as they do upon glimpsing that bad boy.

Once again, a board examination detracts from my enjoyment of my final months of free time before I begin residency. This coming Saturday I'll take the second part of my USMLE Step II board exam, this one consisting of 12 standardized patient encounters that will demonstrate my proficiency in patient communication and the diagnosis/initial management of some common diseases. Alas, this test pretty much blows, and I am loathe to devote ample time to preparing for it. But I must. So, begrudgingly, I spent a few hours today, and I'll spend the rest of the next three days, studying like the obedient little student I am.

I wrote a long rant about the exam, its premise, and its implementation earlier today; however, I decided against publishing it, both in the interest of avoiding a needless increase in the negative Karmic energy of the world, and in the irrational fear that somebody from the National Board of Medical Examiners would come upon what I wrote and decide to fail me out of spite. Well, the latter is not really a concern for anyone not suffering from a paranoid delusion (thus not a concern for me!?!?), but in any case the rant served its purpose by providing a much needed catharsis. Now it's gone, deleted, and I'll hear no more about it, understood?

Well, I'm off to bed and then back to the books. I'll try to post intermittently for the next few days, then return to our regularly scheduled programming next week.

8 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Janine said...

Best of luck on the upcoming exams, Ian!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Thanks a lot! After this Saturday, I'll finally be finished with this madness...at least until next year's Step III board exam (GRRRR...).

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Janine said...

I kinda had to giggle a little bit about the patient standardized exams. Are they the ones with the "fake" patients or the one when you assess an inpatient and then present to the attending? I had the misfortune of being hospitalized a couple years ago and had a parade of meddies and residents do their patient encounters at my bedside. Interesting experience to say the least!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger L said...

yikes on the pic there, Ian...

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Good luck on the Exam!

Nice blog, although I must say as a first time visitor the picture was not very welcoming. *Shudder*

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Janine -- Yeah, the exam will have fake patients. But believe me, on many occasions I have been compelled to present a patient's case to an attending as though he/she weren't laying in bed right there in front of me. It's an uncomfortable situtation for the student, as well as the patient, believe me. Sorry you had to suffer through it.

L and Carol -- Sorry for the bad vibe from the pic! I was going for funny, but it seems I achieved grotesque. No more gynecologic implements, I promise.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Oh, that's OK. I understand the humor.

I've come back to link you...hope that's OK.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Carol -- thanks! I checked out your blog too. I like it and I'll link it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home